Instructions for corporate customers
If an applicant is unable to provide you with the appropriate ID documents within each category, you may be able to verify their identity using an alternative set of identity documents.
The minimum proof of identity documents is a legal requirement by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). The ACIC believes that most individuals should be able to provide the minimum proof of identity documents and therefore, special provisions are applicable to applicants that fall within one of the following exceptional circumstances:
- Persons whose birth was not registered.
- People who are homeless.
- People who are undocumented arrivals to Australia.
- People living in remote areas.
- Persons who are transgender or intersex.
- People affected by disasters.
- People with limited access to ID documents due to how they were raised (e.g. institutional or foster care).
- People with limited participation in society.
- Young people who are yet to establish a social footprint.
Provide alternative ID types
If you are satisfied that the individual has a legitimate reason why they cannot provide the minimum proof of identity documents, and you are satisfied that it is a genuine inability (not merely inconvenient), then you can accept one of the following ID document alternatives:
1) If a Commencement of identity document cannot be provided, they must provide:
- 1 x primary use in the community document and
- 3 x secondary use in the community documents, one of which must contain a photograph.
2) If a Primary use in the community document cannot be provided, they must provide:
- 1 x commencement of identity document and
- 3 x secondary use in the community documents.
Please note, their provided ID documents must contain a photo, full name and date of birth. If the documents presented do not contain a photo, they must submit a certified passport-style photo in accordance with the Statutory Declarations Regulations.
If an applicant is still unable to provide the appropriate ID types, please get it touch with us to discuss your options [email protected].