Instructions for business customers
If an applicant is unable to provide you with the appropriate ID documents within each category, you may be able to verify their identity using an alternative set of identity documents.
The minimum proof of identity documents is a legal requirement by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). The ACIC believes that most individuals should be able to provide the minimum proof of identity documents and therefore, special provisions are applicable to applicants that fall within one of the following exceptional circumstances:
- Persons whose birth was not registered
- Persons who are homeless
- Persons who are undocumented arrivals to Australia
- Persons living in remote areas
- Persons who are transgender or intersex
- Persons affected by disasters
- Persons with limited access to ID documents due to how they were raised (eg. institutional or foster care)
- Persons with limited participation in society
- Young people who are yet to establish a social footprint
Providing alternative ID types
If you are satisfied that the individual has a legitimate reason why they cannot provide the minimum proof of identity documents, and that it is not merely inconvenient for them, then you can accept one of the following ID document alternatives:
- If a Commencement of Identity document cannot be provided, they must provide:
- 1 x primary use in the community document and
- 3 x secondary use in the community documents, one of which must contain a photograph
- If a Primary Use in the Community document cannot be provided, they must provide:
- 1 x commencement of identity document and
- 3 x secondary use in the community documents
Please note that the applicant’s provided ID documents must contain a photo, full name and date of birth. If the documents presented do not contain a photo, they must submit a certified passport-style photo in accordance with the Statutory Declarations Regulations.
Please ensure the personal declaration form is submitted alongside these documents when submitting your check. The form can be downloaded directly from the ID selection page when placing the order.
If an applicant is still unable to provide the appropriate ID types, please get in touch with us at [email protected] to discuss your options.